The Tanzania Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA) is a Statutory Institution owned by the two Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Zambia on a 50/50 share holding basis, with its registered head Office being in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The Authority has two Regional Administrative Centres, one in Mpika, Zambia and the other in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Tanzanians to fill the vacant position of:
Job Title : Superintendent
Salary Scale : TSG11
Reporting to : Works Engineer
Location : Dar es Salaam Workshops
Number of Post : Two (2) post
To supervise, control and co-ordinate preventive and corrective maintenance of passenger coaches in order to enhance the life span, available time and reduce maintenance costs.
- Provides adequate reliable and efficient passenger coaches to traffic to sustain operations.
- Procures in conjunction with the Supplies Personnel, adequate stocks of spares and materials for the repair and maintenance of passenger coaches.
- Develops and seeks approval of cost effective maintenance and repair methods and strategies, modifications to passenger coaches etc to enhance efficiency in operations, reduce break downs and control maintenance costs.
- Reviews maintenance schedules in consultation with superior, basing revision of ages of passenger coaches, quality of spares and materials used, manpower skill levels availability.
- Maintains high job performance standards in the section to ensure performance effectiveness and efficiency.
- Initiates stores requisitions for materials and spare parts, submits same to superior for approval and controls their usage.
- Provides management with information regarding the progress of work being done on locomotives and related problems.
- Compiles reports related to overhaul work done and cost of the materials and spares used, manpower utilisation etc and submits same to management for costing purposes and other use.
- Ensures that discipline and company and statutory safety rules and regulations are observed by subordinates during the execution of work.
- Goal-oriented and able to work independently to achieve results, as well as able to collaborate with a diverse team.
- Able to write analytical and technical reports.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Safe working methods.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Form IV/VI Certificate.
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, /Full Technician Certificate or its equivalent from a reputable College or University.
- Six (6) years relevant work experience, three (3) of which should be at Quality controller level.
- Not more than 45 years of age.
- Post graduate works at Technologist level, will be an added advantage.
- Registered Member of the engineering registration board (ERB) in Tanzania.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Only candidates who meet the specified requirement need to apply to the address indicated below, enclosing their detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of educational certificates, names and address of three traceable reference.
The Regional General Manager (T)
Tanzania Zambia Railway Authority
Junction of Nelson Mandela & Julius Nyerere Road
P.O. Box 40160
DAR ES SALAAM
Closing date for receiving application letters is two weeks from the date of the advert issued . Only short-listed candidates will be communicated to. Please note that no faxed or electronic applications will be accepted.